Missle - a projectile propelled as a weapon at a target
- Air to air (AAM) missile - guided missle fired from an aircraft to destroy another aircraft typically powered by rocket motors, usually solid-fueled
- Air to Surface (ASM air to ground (AGM)) missile - designed to be launched from military aircraft to strike land and or sea targets.
- Surface to air (SAM) missile - designed to be launched from the ground to destory aircraft
- Surface to surface (SSM) missile - a guided projectile launched from a hand-held, vehicle mounted, trailer mounted or fixed installation or from a ship often powered by a rocket motor or someimes fired by an explosive charge.
- Ballisitc missile - a missile that folloes a sub-orbital, ballistic flightpath with the purpose of delivering a warhead to a predetermined target. missile only guided during the powered phase of flight and its course is governed by the laws of orbital mechanics and ballisitcs.